Registration in the Municipal Population Register

When taking up residence, you have to apply for registration in the municipal population register within five days of your arrival.

You have to register yourself and your family (if applicable) at the Civil Affairs Department (“Publieksservice”) at the Town Hall in the municipality or the district where you plan to live for a first registration (“eerste inschrijving”). Everyone must apply in person. 

To register you need to make an appointment. You can make an appointment for one person or for more persons.
You will also be provided with a “Citizen Service Number”.

When you register, please bring the following documents:

  • valid passport or valid identity card and (if applicable) those of your child or children
  • original birth certificate of all those to be registered (authenticated or with apostil)
  • declaration by main occupant (Verklaring inwoning), housing permit (Verhuurdersverklaring), rental contract (“Huurcontract”) or sales contract (“Koopcontract”)
  • If you are not an EU citizen, you must also register at the IND (you can make an appointment by calling 088-0430430)

And if applicable:

  • marriage certificate(s) (authenticated or with apostil)
  • divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) (authenticated or with apostil)
    (see the website of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalisation of your documents)

Municipal personal records database (BRP)

Registration is free of charge. Therefore, if you come to live in the Netherlands, it is important that you register in the BRP. If you are a highly skilled migrant (”kennismigrant”) your employer will arrange this for you, but in other cases you must do so yourself. It is also important that you de-register with the municipality when you leave the Netherlands. Some foreign countries require a proof of de-registration. You can obtain an extract from the BRP, a statement from the municipality containing your personal details as listed in the municipal records.

When is registration not necessary?

If you stay in Breda for less than 4 out of 6 months, it is not necessary to register in the population register. This period of time does not have to be uninterrupted, as long as you have had residency in Breda for less than 4 months.

Civil Affairs Department

If your civil status or your family situation changes, for instance in case of birth, death, marriage or divorce, you must notify the Civil Affairs Department in your municipality or district. The municipality records in the Civil Registry all data relating to important changes in personal circumstances, such as a birth, marriage and death. In these cases, official certificates are drawn up. Sometimes it is necessary to provide a copy or extract of such a certificate in your country of origin, e.g. if you have married or had a child in the Netherlands. A copy contains all the particulars listed on the certificate; an extract only contains a selection from these particulars.